I think it is an incredible service that UK Trade & Investment is offering to these companies - to not just make the connections and give you the resources, but to carry you through it. It is such an intensive task just for a company to establish a business in one city, let alone a national business, let alone an international business. The GREAT Tech Awards is something that these companies should be very grateful for.
Tumblr’s founder and CEO David Karp speaks about why The GREAT Tech Awards is an “incredible service” for tech companies.
Last chance to apply for the UK government’s GREAT Tech Awards competition!
Judging panel includes Mashable’s Pete Cashmore and Tumblr’s David Karp
NEW YORK, July 28, 2014
There are only five days left to apply for the second annual GREAT Tech Awards competition, hosted by UK Trade & Investment and the British Consulate General New York, which will send six of the best US tech companies to the UK to explore international expansion.
Technology companies headquartered in the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut are encouraged to apply by Friday, 1 August 2014 to win in one of six sector categories: education, finance, health, internet of things, lifestyle, and media. The winners will be chosen by a panel of illustrious tech scene judges, and will receive a roundtrip flight to London, five-star accommodation, and an itinerary of high-level meetings designed to make setting up an office in the UK easier than ever, including a trip to the Prime Minister’s office. The prize package also includes free legal, accountancy, and recruitment services, as well as three months of free office space in East London.
“I think it is an incredible service that UK Trade & Investment is offering to these companies - to not just make the connections and give you the resources, but to carry you through it,” said David Karp, CEO and Founder of Tumblr and GREAT Tech Awards judge. “It is such an intensive task just for a company to establish a business in one city, let alone a national business, let alone an international business. The GREAT Tech Awards is something that these companies should be very grateful for.”
"As media and technology continue to shape the international landscape, we at Mashable understand the necessity of having a global presence, especially in the UK, which is home to a large and growing Mashable community," said Pete Cashmore, CEO and Founder of Mashable and GREAT Tech Awards judge. "Mashable is very excited to be a part of The GREAT Tech Awards, and I look forward to joining the judging panel for this year’s competition."
The full judging panel includes: David Karp, CEO/Founder of Tumblr; Pete Cashmore, CEO/Founder of Mashable; Lily Cole, model, actress, and founder of Impossible; Margaret Molloy, Global Chief of Marketing at Siegel+Gale, Yinka Adegoke, Deputy Editor at Billboard; Douglas Atkin, FinTech Fund Portfolio Manager at Guggenheim Partners; and Marco Mohwinckel, Global Head Integrated Care Solutions at Janssen Healthcare Innovation.
Confirmed sponsors include Corinthia Hotel London, Blick Rothenberg, Taylor Wessing, Propel, Second Home.
Additionally, the Best of British Award will be awarded to recognize the transatlantic growth of a British technology company that has successfully established a US office in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut. The winner of this award will enjoy promotion at events and in publications and more. Winners will be announced at the GREAT Tech Awards Gala on Thursday, 9 October 2014 in New York City, and will fly to the UK during the week of 2 November 2014.
For further information and/or interviews with British Consul General Danny Lopez or select judges and advisory board members, please contact:
Patricia S. Edwards
Vice Consul, Communications, British Consulate General New York
- The GREAT Britain campaign showcases the very best of what Britain has to offer and welcomes the world to visit, study and do business with the UK. The UK’s dynamic economy and business-friendly environment make it a great place to locate and expand your business. www.gov.uk/ukti
- For more updates on The GREAT Tech Awards, follow us on Twitter @UKTIUSA and #GREATtech, and on Tumblr.
- Blick Rothenberg provide tax and accounting services to over 450 US companies doing business in the UK and wider markets and are, once again, delighted to be sponsors to the 2014 GREAT Tech Awards.
- As London’s 21st Century Grand Hotel, Corinthia Hotel London combines contemporary flair with traditional grandeur and is situated in the cultural heart of the capital.
- Propel are the preeminent provider of recruitment services to US technology companies expanding into the UK and Europe.
- Taylor Wessing is a leading international, forward thinking law firm, with over 1,000 lawyers in 23 offices, advising clients across the world’s most dynamic industries.
- Launching in Shoreditch in October 2014, in the heart of London’s creative and technology cluster, Second Home will provide access to a global network of entrepreneurs, innovators and creative leaders. It will offer both private and social workspaces in a stimulating environment that supports new forms of collaboration and creativity.
The British Consulate General New York and UK Trade & Investment hosted a Google Hangout to discuss The GREAT Tech Awards 2014, which will take the best tech companies from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania to London for a bespoke business development trip.
- British Consul General in New York, Danny Lopez
- Tech City UK CEO Gerard Grech
GREAT Tech Awards Judges
- Yinka Adegoke, Deputy Editor at Billboard
- Doug Atkin, FinTech Fund Portfolio Manager at Guggenheim Partners
- Margaret Molloy, Global CMO of Siegel+Gale
GREAT Tech Awards Advisors
- Ziv Navoth, Co-founder and CEO of Paragraph
- Bob Schukai, Head of Advanced Product Innovation, Thomson Reuters
2013 GREAT Tech Awards winners
- Josh Warrum of ADstruc
- Peter Stein of TeachBoost
- Jess Compagnola of Gust
Tech companies in NY, NJ, PA, or CT can take their innovation to the UK with the GREAT Tech Awards! Apply by August 1 at http://thegreattechawards.tumblr.com.
Photos from the launch of The GREAT Tech Awards at Tumblr HQ in Manhattan. Guests heard about the awards and Tumblr’s involvement from Consul General Danny Lopez and Tumblr’s founder and CEO David Karp. Also in attendance were GREAT Tech Awards judges Pete Cashmore, Marco Mohwinckel, Margaret Molloy, and Yinka Adegoke, as well as advisors Paul Murphy, Tarek Pertew, and Nima Behkami.
I am thrilled to announce that applications are open for the second annual GREAT Tech Awards.
The GREAT Tech Awards will attract the best tech talent from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut, and will offer companies a unique opportunity to grow their business in the UK, which is the best place to do business in Europe. Let the competition begin!
Watch Consul General Danny Lopez discuss The GREAT Tech Awards 2014 on WSJ Live with Simon Constable.
Note: the application period opened on 1 June and closes 1 August.