On 9 October 2014, the British Consulate General New York and UK Trade & Investment hosted the 2nd annual GREAT Tech Awards at the Diamond Horseshoe in New York City. Six US tech companies were announced as the winners of the competition, having been selected from over 120 applicants from the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.
The winners represent innovative companies in the US tech scene seeking to build their international presence. US winners will receive a bespoke business development trip to the UK during the week of 2 November 2014. The Best of British winner will receive promotion in the US, including a reception at the British Residence in New York.
The category winners are:
- Education - Admittedly, which offers fun, interactive school profiles for education institutions to help students find the right schools and see what their chances of acceptance are.
- Finance - SeedInvest, an equity-based funding platform connecting accredited investors to leading startups.
- Health - CytoSorbents Corporation, a critical care immunotherapy company using blood purification to treat life-threatening illnesses.
- Internet of Things - Critical Mention, which allows users to monitor global TV, radio, and online news and receive alerts and reports about coverage for their brands.
- Lifestyle - TodayTix, a free app to buy last minute discount theatre tickets.
- Media - SeamlessDocs, a modern replacement for PDF forms.
- Best of British - ustwo, a global digital product studio launching products, services & companies.
Kinsa, a smart thermometer technology, took home the People’s Choice Award, which was voted on by attendees at the gala via text message.